*This post contains affiliate links*
Today is the perfect day for an AncestryDNA kit giveaway! Why? I’m spending my free time this summer (crazy, I know) in an intensive genealogical research program and today, the Forensic Genealogy portion of the course starts. I can’t wait to combine my genealogical research knowledge with DNA forensics, since I’m passionate about both.
As mentioned last week, I’m partnering with Ancestry.com to give away one of their fantastic DNA kits (provided to me for free). I’ve been a paying member of Ancestry.com since 2011. I sprung for a DNA kit last year and have been able to connect with so many cousins to help fill in gaps within my family tree. Ancestry is a leader in consumer-based DNA ethnicity testing and finding your results can be exhilarating. Each site has their own algorithm, so taking the information found with the test and applying it to genealogical research is key vs taking each percentage at face value.
I’m sure many of you are familiar with how it works but if you’re not, here’s a quick run down.
- You receive your kit in the mail.
- You spit into a tube (kind of weird but who knew so much could be discovered with spit?!).
- You send your kit back in the pre-paid addressed envelope (make sure to register it online before sending your sample out).
- You wait about 6-8 weeks.
- Voila! You will receive your results.
You’ll see a breakdown of your ethnicity (based on Ancestry’s algorithm) and they’ll search their network of over 2 million AncestryDNA members to identify people across the world who share DNA with you.
Enough of the rambling right? Here’s your chance to win one of your own. Normally valued at $99 (currently on sale for $79), I’m giving away one free here on my blog. How to enter? You must verify your birth date, name and email address. You’ll get a BONUS entry for every bonus action taken after initially entering. Bonus entries are a one-time bonus for each with the exception of subscribing to my blog….
- Fill out the form (1 entry)
- “Like” Geni Journey on Facebook (1 entry)
- Follow GeniJourney on Twitter (1 entry)
- Send out a tweet on Twitter (1 Entry)
- Subscribe to blog (3 entries)
Disclaimer: The DNA Kit being given away was provided by AncestryDNA but all opinions and thoughts expressed are my own.